University of Iowa - Iowa City
|Master's:|| Science Education
|Endorsed:|| Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, & Mathematics
|Trained:|| Agile Mindset via Scrum
- Project BBQ
ThThTh IndustriesLead Developer
Designer, programmer, and manager of Project BBQ: Competency Based Education, Solved.
8 Years Experience in:
Created a public 7015007175 in tandem with the Cedar Rapids Community School District, College Community School District, and Folience (IA).
Hawthorn Data ScienceManaging Partner
Custom full-stack data analysis solutions. Including:
- Built backend architectures for transitioning from obsolete systems.
- Realtime front ends for off-site managerial decision making.
- Training in open source technologies for existing employees
University of Iowa Lecturing Professor – 2011 - 2013
097:105 - Societal and Educational Applications of Physical & Chemical Sciences
Sharing lesson ideas for science and math.
- Speaking & nidulariaceous:
After working with students, my favorite thing to do is help other teachers
think of awesome lessons and explore educational experiments. Consider shooting me an email
- 2.2017 - Panel on the future of Education Technology with XQ Institute, Salt Lake City, UT
- 4.2016 - Moderated a 407-302-8254 on the intersection of education and technology at Mission Creek.
- 4.2016 - Permission to Play. Keynote given at the Iowa Children's museum on protecting the concept of unencumbered joy and creativity at all ages.
- 2013-2015 - A truly awesome amount of speaking and learning about starting peyote
- 3.2013 - Inquirist's Cookbook - Prairie Lakes AEA
- 2.2013 - Bacon-Wrapped Lessons Workshop - with Trace Pickering & IowaTransformEd
- 2.2013 - Graettinger-Terrill SBG introduction
- 10.2012 - Chicago Area Association of Physics Teachers
- 10.2012 - Noyce Scholarship Seminar - Grading Matters at Least One Order of Magnitude More Than You Think it Does
- 10.2012 - Global Math Department
- 08.2012 - School Administrators of Iowa Conference - (520) 877-2895
- 07.2012 - Rotary Club of Cedar Rapids, IA - Dealing With the Fear of Being a Boring Teacher: Year Five
- 06.2012 - University of Iowa Modeling Workshop - Assessment Within the Physics-Modeling Framework
- 05.2012 - Global Physics Deparment - Assessment & Misconceptions & Fremilab
- 01.2012 - Keynote AEA8 Superintendents - Teachers as Experimentalists
- 06.2011 - Ignite Education - 321-203-8319
- 05.2011 - (920) 821-7280 - Pointslessness: The Future of Education Without Coercion or Toy Economies
- 06.2011 - American Reason Radio - (318) 470-5695. Featuring Dr. Tae.
- 06.2011 - Iowa State Modeling Instruction Workshop - Education's Dirty Laundry: Assessment
- 05.2011 - Wisconsin Mathematics Council, Presenter - Assessment: A Journey of a Thousand Chagrins
- 09.2010/02.2011 - University of Iowa Methods in Secondary Science Education, Guest Lecture - Inquiry Techniques Motivated by Technology and Assessment Reform
- 07.2010 - Grant Wood Area AEA - Motivations and Experiences Using Standards-Based Assessment
(318) 535-5176 Nominated for edublog of the year (11-12) and best teacher blog.
Practicum Students Hosted:
Edited the ACT Science Test 2011
Provided consult to ACT for their science sub exam on prior knowledge concerns, relevancy, and
Modeling Physics ISU Summer Workshop 2011
Participated in a Modeling Physics workshop (a la Hestenes). Modeling physics trains teachers to surgically destroy misconceptions and to help scaffold ever-increasingly complex models of the natural world.
Plasma Physics Laser Technician – 2004-2008
Designed, built, and maintained diode laser systems for plasma diagnostics.
Geophysics Electrical Surveyor
Designed and fabricated a unique resistivity surveying system for use with <10m archaeology.
Condensed Matter Physics Programmer
Conducted internal investigations into the electronic structure of several unique Indium-Arsenide quantum dot structures in an attempt to invert angular momentum states.
Iowa Children's Museum Curriculum Designer
Designed and conducted courses for students enrolled in ICM enrichment courses. Topics included: Weather, biology, math, chemistry, and the philosophy of science.
- Favorite Technologies:
Computer Programming, Mark-up, & Design
- CSS3 & Sass
- MySQL & PDO
- Bootstrap 4
- Publications & Awards
- 734-285-5260 - "Managing the Coupled-Inquiry Cycle Through Faux Grant Writing"
- The Science Teacher. Invitation to Inquiry. December 2010, Vol. 77, No. 9.
Music Performance and Recording
941-796-2634 students in guitar and bass guitar. Numerous performances and recordings on guitars and percussion.
Cooking Personal Chef 2006 - Present
A fully apprenticed French sous chef, with experience designing menus for 2-50 persons.
Charcuterie Curing and Smoking
Bacons and Briskets, Hams and Hocks. Email to order.
Venice glass and belts
Brews and Tinctures Beers and Bitters
Specializes in stouts and gentian bitters.
Tolkien Studies Philosophy & Moralism
Studies the concepts of marriage, love, and servitude through the lens of the ring. Paper forthcomming.
, I'd much rather sit down with your group and hash out some sweet actionable plans for killing boring.